Our friends at Langevin Learning Services share some tips that are applicable to anyone designing training courses online or for classroom instruction. Print this out and keep it handy as a “check list”.
• Target content to the experience level of the trainees.
• Base content on job tasks.
• Spend adequate time on-difficult-to learn tasks.
• Break steps down into how-to instructions.
• Ensure structure of course follows structure of job.
• Minimize “nice-to-know” information.
• Spend 1/3 of time on Presentation of content.
• Spend 2/3 of time on Practice and Feedback.
• Review content at regular intervals.
• Design exercises that simulate the tasks.
• Have course validated by technical experts and end users.
• Build principles of adult learning into the course.
• Design course materials to be job aids.
• Use activities that will aid transfer to the job.
Copyright – Langevin Learning Services, Inc.