Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
However, in business, we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:
- Changing riders
- Increasing the standards to ride dead horses
- Creating a training session to increase our riding ability
- Hiring contractors to ride the dead horse
- Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed
- Forming a quality circle to find uses for dead horses
- Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position
Notice, this is for a DEAD horse, not a “new” horse, not an “untried” horse, not a “sick” horse, and not a “dying” horse — you can work with any of those. This is a “dead horse”.